It’s amazing that this is still happening a full six months after most states’ initial lockdowns, and following an unprecedented summer of ‘social distancing’ where by and large local law enforcement authorities have learned to exercise common sense and simple de-escalation (or just passive enforcement while letting understandable exceptions slide) in situations where certain anti-coronavirus measures are mandated.

A new incident in Ohio where a woman was outside at a middle school football game without a “required mask” resulted in the police tasing and arresting her. Video of the arrest is now going viral precisely because it’s an instance of police not showing common sense — again at an outdoor venue.

We should add that the event appears sparsely attended, with no more than a mere half-dozen people being seen in the section of the stands where the woman was sitting. It even appears she only sat near her own family, and children could be heard crying as the mom’s arrest unfolded.

A school resource officer is seen approaching the woman, identified as Alecia Kitts, at which time she refused to obey his order to wear a mask or leave the premises. “They’re tasing this lady over not wearing a damn mask!” a shocked onlooker said.

Things escalated fast as the officer lunged at her, trying to apprehend her, as The Hill details:

An Ohio police officer tased and arrested a woman on Wednesday after she refused to leave an eighth grade football game for not wearing a mask, officials said.

Police in Logan, Ohio, who identified the woman as Alecia Kitts, said the officer told Kitts she would be asked to leave because she was not wearing a mask, in violation of school policy. After Kitts refused to leave the stadium, the officer warned she would be cited for trespassing. She was tased after she resisted arrest.

“I will not put my hands behind my back,” the woman had shouted along with obscenities. “I’m not currently doing nothing wrong.”

She cited that she had asthma which made wearing a mask deeply uncomfortable for her and even dangerous.

The Logan Police Department defended the actions of its officer, saying, “It is important to note, the female was not arrested for failing to wear a mask, she was asked to leave the premises for continually violating school policy.”

The local police department added: “Once she refused to leave the premises, she was advised she was under arrest for criminal trespassing, she resisted the arrest, which led to the use of force.”

The school which hosted the football game also underscored in a statement that out of 300 people that attended the game it was only the woman and her friend that wouldn’t comply with the school district’s mask policy.

Republished from with permission

Sign up on or to check out our store on