Enamel is the thin outer covering of the tooth. This tough shell is the hardest tissue in the human body. Enamel covers the crown which is the part of the tooth that’s visible outside of the gums.
What does tooth enamel do?
Enamel helps protect your teeth from daily use such as chewing, biting, crunching, and grinding. Although enamel is a hard protector of teeth, it can chip and crack. Enamel also insulates the teeth from potentially painful temperatures and chemicals.
What Your Mouth Says About Your Health
Unlike a broken bone that can be repaired by the body, once a tooth chips or breaks, the damage is done forever. Because enamel has no living cells, the body cannot repair chipped or cracked enamel.
What causes enamel erosion?
Tooth erosion happens when acids wear away the enamel on teeth. Enamel erosion can be caused by the following:
- Excessive soft drink consumption (high levels of phosphoric and citric acids)
- Fruit drinks (some acids in fruit drinks are more erosive than battery acid)
- Dry mouth or low salivary flow (xerostomia)
- Diet (high in sugar and starches)
- Acid reflux disease (GERD)
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Medications (aspirin, antihistamines)
- Genetics (inherited conditions)
- Environmental factors (friction, wear and tear, stress, and corrosion)
The toothpaste contains components which mimic tooth enamel, and build up where there are cracks in the tooth. It is similar in its form to regular toothpaste however, and so will be easily adopted by people in their own home.
The new formula was created by research with the chemical hydroxylapatit, also known as crystalline calcium phosphate, which makes up the main component of the tooth.
It works by causing a dilution of the acid on the surface of the teeth. After three minutes, the paste starts to crystallize and gets fastened to the structure of the natural enamel.
With the creation of this product, dentist visits could soon be a thing of the past!
Sign up on lukeunfiltered.com or to check out our store on thebestpoliticalshirts.com.