By Keir Mudie, Mark Watts
A teenage boy working at Buckingham Palace revealed he was groomed and sexually abused by a VIP paedophile ring there.
The lad was also assaulted at the Royal Family’s Scottish retreat Balmoral, according to shocking Home Office files, reports the Sunday People.
In a heartbreaking note, the boy – then just 16 – told how he was the victim of “exploitation of the highest order”.
The chilling claims could now be the subject of a police investigation into historic allegations of child sex abuse in the 1970s and 80s – linked to MPs and powerful figures. The disturbing account was passed directly to the then Home Secretary Leon Brittan but he ruled it was “not practical” to investigate.
Campaigning Labour MP Tom Watson said: “I’m sure the Palace will want to co-operate with any inquiry.”
A Palace spokesman said: “The Royal Household takes any allegation of this nature seriously and would act to address any specific allegations or investigate specific information.” The Sunday People and the investigations website Exaro have established that the Home Office file contains evidence of a letter written by the boy’s mother.
She wrote to campaigning MP Geoffrey Dickens, fearing that her son had been groomed by a paedophile ring while working at the Buckingham Palace kitchens. The boy was 16 at the time, putting him below the age of homosexual consent which was then 21 in England. In Scotland homosexuality was still totally illegal.
Mr Dickens said at the time: “The boy told his parents he had been sexually abused by members of the Royal Household at the Palace.
“I am concerned the Palace could be part of a chain supplying young men to paedophiles in the diplomatic service.”
British Labour MP Tom Watson
The 16-year-old went to work at the Palace in the early 1970s. After a few months his family noticed he was acting strangely.
A family friend told Exaro: “Things were OK when he first joined the Palace staff.
“After a few months, things started to turn a little strange.”
After what the source described as an “incident” at Balmoral, the royal family’s Scottish home, the boy’s parents were told by a close friend who also worked at Buckingham Palace that their son was being sexually abused there.
The source added: “They got wind of this after an incident at Balmoral when he screamed in the night.””