SOURCE: Healthy Food House
We have listed some of the most dangerous items, but most of you find these to be harmless, without being aware of the health problems they can cause. Get rid of these cancer-causing products and provide a healthy surrounding for you and your family.
1. Air Fresheners
Many air fresheners are loaded with carcinogens, dangerous organic compounds, and toxic substances, like phthalate esters.
A study by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) involved 13 common air fresheners and scientists found that most of them contain chemicals that aggravate asthma and affect the reproductive development.
In 2008, Anne Steinemann at the University of Washington conducted a study and found that air-fresheners she tested are loaded with toxic and hazardous chemicals, including carcinogens that are absolutely dangerous. However, none of the chemicals is listed on the product labels or Material Safety Data Sheet. Essential oils provide the same effect, and they are health-friendly.
A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) showed that 40 percent of the candles sold contain lead wires inside their wicks. Scented candles usually contain lead wicks. Fragrance oils soften the wax, and manufacturers add lead to make the wicks firm.
According to CPSC, these candles release five times the amount of lead confirmed as hazardous for children, and they are far beyond the pollution standards for outdoor air of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Exposure to large amounts of lead leads to hormone disruption, behavioral problems, learning disabilities, and other health problems.
If you want your home to be cozy and soft without harming your health, always buy beeswax candles with cotton wicks, or you can just make a few at home.
3. Art Supplies
Some art supplies like Epoxy, rubber cement glues, acrylic paint and solvents, permanent markers, are loaded with chemicals that cause allergies, organ damage, and cancer.
Children are especially vulnerable to toxins, because they have higher metabolism, and their immune systems are still immature. Be more careful when handling such products and choose the least harmless. Learn more about nontoxic and green alternatives, or make your own.