The FBI has confirmed they have uncovered nearly 15,000 emails from Hillary Clinton’s private server from her tenure as Secretary of State that were previously undisclosed.
The existence of the emails was confirmed before a federal judge on Monday, during a hearing with the conservative group Judicial Watch who is seeking the release of the emails in a public records lawsuit. The 14,900 new documents equal roughly 50% of what had willingly been turned over to the State Department by Clinton’s lawyers in 2014.
15,000 Newly Discovered Hillary Clinton Emails https://t.co/8o3fAwL1ac
— Stefan Molyneux (@StefanMolyneux) August 22, 2016
When asked for her emails by the department, Clinton had a team go through them and permanently deleted any that were considered “personal.” They ultimately deleted more emails than they handed over, with no third party or impartial group overseeing the deletions.
The Washington Post has reported that all of the new emails were messages sent directly to or from Clinton herself, not just email chains she was looped in on — as in previous disclosures.
The group is fighting for the emails to be turned over prior to the election in November, but the president of Judicial Watch believes that the State Department is trying to stonewall them and delay the release.
FBI found almost 15,000 new Clinton documents. When will State release them? Court hearing today.
— Tom Fitton (@TomFitton) August 22, 2016
“It looks like the State Department is trying to slow-roll the release of the records. They’ve had them for at least a month, and we still don’t know when we’re going to get them,” Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton told the Post.
The department claims that they have not yet reviewed the emails to determine if they are new or duplicates of the ones they previously had.
Amazingly, the FBI decided last month not to bring criminal charges against Clinton for her private server — which was seemingly aimed at avoiding transparency and FOIA laws, while putting national security at risk — despite these emails being in government possession and not yet reviewed.
“State has not yet had the opportunity to complete a review of the documents to determine whether they are agency records or if they are duplicative of documents State has already produced through the Freedom of Information Act,” State Department spokesman Mark Toner told USA Today.
US District Judge James Boasberg has ordered that the department provide a status update on their review of the emails by September 23.