WeAreChange is proud to celebrate the most enlightening hip-hop artists of all time. The following list was shaped in part by you the audience, WeAreChange staff, and the author. All of the artists on the list were chosen for creating songs full of good vibes, tight beats, original flow, and verses full of uplifting wisdom and knowledge.
Today’s movement towards truth, liberty, and alternative media was cultivated in part by seeds planted in hip-hop. While many of today’s MCs provoke the most savage of satire – like the Key & Peele sketch featuring a debauched rapper named Bling Benzy – here are the hip-hop artists whose music most enlightened a generation.
1. Immortal Technique – Unafraid to take on 9/11 truth or the links between the American government and the cocaine trade, as he did on “Peruvian Cocaine,” Immortal Technique made his name while selling his albums independently. Tech’s ferocious lyrics blazed the path to the truth movement for countless hip-hop fans.
2. 2Pac – On “Changes”, Tupac Shakur said “Instead of war on poverty/They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.” While 2pac’s lyrics were all over the map in their focus, many feel he was killed for saying things like “I think this country still is run on gangs, Republicans, Democrats, The Police Department, The FBI, The CIA, those are gangs, you know what I mean.” The song “Revolution” calls out the hypocrisy of the media on violence, and points to U.S. military “If you investigate you’ll find out where it’s comin from/ Look through our history, America’s the violent one.” Revolutionary lyrics aside, Tupac’s soul inspired a generation.
3. KRS-One – Enlightening is the perfect word for the MC who shared the album “Spiritual Minded” with the world. Being “The Conscious Rapper” is just part of KRS-One’s repertoire. Speaking out in public, KRS-One dropped the perfect analogy for President Obama’s role in the machinery of shadow government – he’s only the manager at the Burger King.
4. Lupe Fiasco – From calling Obama a terrorist to rapping about World Trade Center Building 7, Lupe Fiasco is today’s cutting edge for real lyrics in rap. Using one of the most original flows of all-time, Lupe has crafted album after album of uplifting, inspiring hip-hop. In his spare time, he was also one of the few artists to show up to Occupy Wall Street.
5. Mos Def – “Killin fields need blood to graze the cash cow…/69 billion in the last 20 years/Spent on national defense but folks still live in fear.” That’s Mos Def’s “Mathematics.” As half of the superstar duo Black Star, Mos famously shouted out that “they” shot Tupac and Biggie, and that was just the start of the waves made by Mos Def. The rapper/actor named Yasiin Bey even got waterboarded to show people that the U.S. has been torturing prisoners.
All of the artists on this list made music that woke up the masses and helped inspire people to create a more free world.
If you enjoyed this list or feel like your favorite MC was robbed, stay tuned because PART 2 of The Ten Most Enlightening Hip-Hop Artists of All Time is coming soon.
To support WeAreChange and hear more inspiring hip-hop, check out Miami’s Best Hip-Hop. WeAreChange readers can get the whole album for $5 with the code WRC.
In this video Luke Rudkowski travels to Berlin Germany to cover the expanding and growing resistance moment. This event took place on July 19th and brought together over 5,000 people from all over Germany. This is a video of the people there and the message they have to you.
If you are in London THIS SUNDAY tweet at Luke a request and he will come to you and do it. It can be anything just tweet Luke and he will follow you back to get details of where to meet you. It will be Luke’s birthday and since he is grateful for all the subscribers and viewership he has received from you, we want to show you some fan appreciation. This should be an interesting social media experiment, we look forward to your involvement.
In this video Luke Rudkowski delivers a speech to over 5,000 Germans that come out every Monday to rally. The main focus of this new, growing and expanding movement in Germany is to end the Fed, highlight main stream media propaganda and put an end to foreign wars of aggression. The actions in Berlin have sparked solidarity actions in Santa Monica CA, Vancouver Canada and NYC.
A Russian expert in oriental studies, Vyacheslav Matuzov, said that the leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi has close ties and cooperation with the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
In this video Luke Rudkowski meets Argentinian journalist Tin Bojani? who was on the run, hiding from government officials for over 4 years. Tin went on the run after unidentified government officials ran shacked his house and put a gun to his head when he was working on a story linking Argentinian officials to drug cartels that were running drugs all over the world.
Elina St-Onge sits down with Former Presidential Interpreter and White House Insider Fred Burks to discuss about how he obtained his position as an interpreter, what made him quit, how the “power elite” try to control us and what is the most effective way we can bring about change into our world.
Ankara (AFP) – Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday stepped up his rhetoric against Israel over its deadly air offensive on Gaza, accusing the Jewish state of committing “state terrorism” against the Palestinians.
Presenting himself as the sole world leader speaking up for the Palestinians, Erdogan said that any normalisation in the troubled ties between Israel and Ankara was currently out of the question.
What do Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, Tony Blair, David Petraeus and Newt Gingrich all have in common? All of them attended the “Afternoon Conversation” held in Aspen, Colorado, (6/30), at the Aspen Ideas Festival, which runs from June 27th until July 3rd. The festival is hosted,by The Aspen Institute, for the purpose of ‘engaging in deep and inquisitive discussion of the ideas and issues that both shape our lives and challenge our times.’ “We are imagining 2024.”